Re: Lines or Boxes without reference to score or stave

From: Guy Stalnaker
Subject: Re: Lines or Boxes without reference to score or stave
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2017 13:31:20 -0500

Thank you. I won't opt for LaTeX :-) For my part, my knowledge of GIMP is sufficient that if it came to it, I'd output PNG, open in GIMP, and create the boxes. It doesn't take very long to do that, but I've 25 output files and doing this for each of them is, well ... :-) Was hoping it might be easier to add some kind of \markup to the lilypond source. Not looking so easy though.

Guy

Guy Stalnaker
address@hidden

On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 1:09 PM, Jeffery Shivers <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Guy,

On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 11:33 AM Guy Stalnaker <address@hidden> wrote:
> What I want to do is put a box, visually, around the engraved score, but independent of the engraved score. There will be two boxes, one (dashed or dotted) representing the margins of the document, and another .25" larger that represents a paper-size (this has to do with providing engraved music output that will be placed on non-standard sized paper by another person). The boxes show them where their margins/paper is on the engraving to allow them a sense for how much space the score will consume in their final document.
>
> This is basically four straight lines, two horizontal and two vertical but with reference to absolute page positioning, e.g., Line1: start 1.5" down from top margin and 1" in from left margin and draw horizontal for 7.5", Line2: start 1.5" down from top margin and 1" in from left margin and draw down 8.0", etc.. Everything that I've seen thus far are markup of some kind that are entered in reference to the score or, with the Notation Reference entries for \draw-hline for example, only seem to draw a line wherever the markup is place and not at an absolute position.
>
> I can, of course, output to png, open png in image editor and add the boxes manually, but it would be easier :-) to do this in lilypond. Maybe.

A slightly less manual way would be to compile your normal LP document
then embed those pages in a LaTeX document and draw the lines/boxes
with some simple macros and/or TikZ. Here are some ways people have
done similar things:

http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/20640/how-to-add-border-for-an-image
http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/251670/dotted-frame-around-the-text

Maybe that's more *manual* than you want though. Idk. But that's what
I would recommend as a simple solution anyway.