Re: Lines or Boxes without reference to score or stave

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Lines or Boxes without reference to score or stave
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2017 16:15:07 -0500

On Thu 06 Apr 2017 at 13:31:20 (-0500), Guy Stalnaker wrote:
> Thank you. I won't opt for LaTeX :-)

Well that would have been my tool of choice for drawing the lines.
But I don't see the necessity for lines anyway. Why not just crop
the PDFs with pdfcrop so that the images can be laid on top of
these pages, whatever they are. Will that convince?

You haven't said whether these images of scores are fragmentary
or whole pages. Are the 25 files each one page, or does each
file have a multipage score?

If each page is like a conventional score with the same margin
layout, then draw the lines in any package you're comfortable with.
If you now take your score PDF and the lines PDF and run them through
  pdftk score.pdf multistamp lines.pdf output final.pdf
The sole/last page of lines.pdf will be used until score.pdf is
exhausted and will overprint each page.

> For my part, my knowledge of GIMP is
> sufficient that if it came to it, I'd output PNG, open in GIMP, and create
> the boxes. It doesn't take very long to do that, but I've 25 output files
> and doing this for each of them is, well ... :-)

Drawing lines in Gimp is for one-offs. Its interactivity is its power.
But it's not a good tool for the above because you're doing the work
instead of the computer.

And, as I said before, PNG is not an appropriate format either.

> Was hoping it might be
> easier to add some kind of \markup to the lilypond source. Not looking so
> easy though.

Well, it might be. It makes the same assumption that I made above:
the dimensions of the lines are the same. But you have to put markup
commands for each LP page (too many doesn't matter).

Finally, you should take into consideration the benefits each
method brings to you. Being familiar with a tool like pdftk
brings huge benefits apart from this little problem. You're
able to burst, collate, shuffle, rotate, stamp, watermark,
encrypt and decrypt etc. Pdfcrop is so useful for inserting
document fragments into other documents. I must insert a plug
here for pdfjam for shifting, scaling, angular rotations,
more shuffling, and producing N-up copies.
These are real productivity tools for PDF documents.

Cheers,
David.