How to select lyrics font?

From: Mirko Hessel-von Molo
Subject: How to select lyrics font?
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2017 01:39:42 +0200

Dear Lilypond Users,

I have now spent the best part of two nights trying to find out from all bits of documentation available how I can set a specific font to be used for lyrics. I decided it's either not in there, or too deeply hidden to be accessible from my level of understanding of lilypond.

Here is my use case: I want to produce a booklet that contains texts, graphics (svg and png) as well as lilypond-typeset vocal music. (You may guess, it's for a religious service.) My plan is to produce the music bits as separate pdfs and to import them into the booklet document (which somebody else is preparing with Word and not, alas! with LaTex) later on. In order to have things nice and tidy, I want the lyrics to be typeset with the same font as the remaining text, which would be Arial. (No matter to argue about.)

I'm using Lilypond version 2.18.2. This is what I have found out:
1. I know how to set Arial as the default sans serif font using make-pango-font-tree.
2. I know I can simply call \sans in markup mode to use the font.
3. I even see that in principle I could enter every single lyrics syllable as a separate markup context within which \sans is set.

 --- But there surely must be an easier way than this!!!

So let me ask:
a) Can I set a default font family (or even default font) for _lyrics_ (not markup)? If so, how?
b) Is this described somewhere in the documentation? If so, where?

Thanks a lot for any help!

Best regards, Mirko