Re: Separate Emmentaler/Fonts

From: tisimst
Subject: Re: Separate Emmentaler/Fonts
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2017 05:35:03 -0700 (MST)

Hi, Urs/Andrew/Johan!

On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 6:10 AM, Urs Liska [via Lilypond] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Am 11.04.2017 um 13:03 schrieb Johan Vromans:
> On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 12:09:41 +0200, "N. Andrew Walsh"
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> thanks for the link. I only needed the font for specific glyphs (sharp
>> signs and the like), which I presume are individual glyphs that would
>> still work within a body of regular text, yes?
> Would Bravura be an option then?
> It's open source, very complete, SMuFl, and can be used from all standard
> software.

Doesn't the "text" part of SMuFL look like it's what one would need for
that purpose?

That's precisely what BravuraText (or any other [SMuFL]Text font) was designed for, so most of the glyphs are re-positioned/sized to follow the normal text baseline rather than their music positioning and size. They usually have zero-width side bearings, though, so you'll need to add some manual space around each symbol.

There's still the issue with actually getting the symbol as a unicode char. Whether you use Bravura, Emmentaler, or virtually any other non-Sibelius/Finale/etc. font, you'll may need to use some character viewer to be able to view+select+copy+paste it into your editing app. On the one hand, if you did want to use BravuraText, I suggest going to the SMuFL gitbook which uses real characters at their real code points which you can select+copy+paste just like normal text. You just need to have a SMuFL font installed like BravuraText to render the character correctly. I've done that many times.

HTH,
Abraham