Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH in different installation contexts

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH in different installation contexts
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2017 00:05:42 +0200

> Hi Urs, List,
>
> On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 11:04 AM, Urs Liska <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> b) Linux, self-compiled
>>
>> I've never experienced this issue with self-compiled LilyPonds. I assume
>> this is *not* because self-compiled versions implicitly use the bundled libs
>> but because they implicitly compile against what is available in the system.
>> But if that assumption is correct I'd experience the same issue if I should
>> run a self-compiled Lilypond that has been compiled some time ago, e.g.
>> before a major Linux upgrade.
>

> This was my previous method, building from most recent source (which oddly
> also reported itself as a version more recent [ie, higher version number]
> than that listed on the website as the latest source). However, I am no
> longer able to get a working Lilypond via this method, because Gentoo Linux
> has dropped support for Guile-1.*. Does newer Lily work with Guile-2.*, or
> would this still be an issue?

Hi Andrew,

there are still problems with guilev2.

But you could try to checkout the experimental branch
dev/guile-v2-work, rebase it.
Though, be prepared needing to resolve some merge conflicts. I started
to insert some of them in revised versions into master.
Then you should be able to compile LilyPond with guile up to guile-2.1.14.
Ofcourse you'll likely experience some yet unknown bugs and be
prepared to experience a heavy slow down.

It would be great to have more feedback from more testers.

If Gentoo supports only the new stable guile-2.2, please ask back. I
have an admittedly brute-force patch to make it work (simply deleting
some very rare used functionality).

Cheers,
  Harm