Re: placement of tuplet number on broken tuplet

From: Juan Cristóbal Cerrillo
Subject: Re: placement of tuplet number on broken tuplet
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2017 15:29:56 -0500

On Apr 12, 2017, at 10:53 AM, Andrew Bernard <address@hidden> wrote:

Hello Juan,

I have various ways of doing this, but with all respect, this is really very illegible engraving from the point of view of a player. Is this truly what you want?

I am reproducing what the composer has written.  I see no issue with the tuplet over a barline (with us since Ives at least).  The placement of the tuplet number and the left side form of the bracket however are not ideal.

Can you post a sketch of what is actually required? I half see what you are getting at, but why do you need to split across the line to begin with? This is most unfelicitous.

Andrew

What I am looking for is something similar to the broken-right and broken-left properties of a text spanner, so that one can adjust the placement of the tuplet number on either side of the broken tuplet.

Here are two possible solutions illustrated graphically:

(the second voice in the example is only for breaking the bar to illustrate the problem)

The tuplet number displaced to the right only on the left broken side:

The tuplet number omitted on the left broken side.

All best,

jc