Re: [Spam] Re: Multiple instruments in score and parts

From: David Sumbler
Subject: Re: [Spam] Re: Multiple instruments in score and parts
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2017 13:05:16 +0100

On Sat, 2017-04-15 at 12:34 +0200, Rutger Hofman wrote:
> On 04/13/2017 03:37 PM, David Sumbler wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 2017-04-13 at 09:19 -0400, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi David,

> > > If you search for ‘divisi’ on the list — and sort in reverse
> > > chronological order (which really should be the default!) —
> > > you’ll
> > > find many related threads, containing lots of hints and tips on
> > > how
> > > to attack this problem (e.g., <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/
> > > lily
> > > pond-user/2016-08/msg00256.html>).
> > >
> > > Hope this helps,
> > > Kieren.
> > It does - I simply hadn't thought of searching for "divisi"!  Even
> > after a cursory glance at some of the stuff that that search comes
> > up
> > with, I can see that this is going to be very helpful.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > David
> Yes, this can be accomplished with the divisi engraver (or whatever
> it
> is called), but I would recommend to use this only in the full
> score,
> and keep all variants of e.g. Violin I in one part, including
> first/second half, solo parts etc. From what I have seen, that is
> customary in professional editions. I have seen a Messiaen Violin I
> part
> where the divisi is in (uh... what was it... ) 8 or 10 or so solo
> parts,
> and all were in the same physical Violin I 'part'.
>
> For winds, this is a different matter. A separate part for each
> instrument is usual, although sometimes the parts for e.g. the two
> flutes are combined into one 'part'. I have seen that mostly in
> French
> editions, FWIW.
>
> Rutger

I agree with what you say - in the Messiaen example you mention, I
would expect the 8 or 10 divisi Violin 1 lines to be in one physical
part, but probably on 4 or 5 lines - perhaps even 8 or 10.

As an ex-flautist, I would say that the custom of having, say, Flutes 1
and 2 in the same physical part is very useful, so long as each player
has a separate copy of the part.  For flutes, in particular, having 2
players trying to read off the same copy is completely unacceptable
because of the sideways length of the instrument.

In the ballet company for which I mostly worked in the last couple of
decades, I encouraged our arrangers/copyists/typesetters to do the
flute, clarinet, horn etc. parts in this way.  My principle reason for
doing this was that if there is a "dep" (deputy) player owing to
illness or any other reason, they are far less likely to get lost
during a performance if they can see their partner's line of music
above or below their own.  It gives them confidence, resulting in the
likelihood of a better performance than if they are sight-reading a
part with no external references.

David