Re: How to enlarge the size of accidentals in a figured bass ?

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: How to enlarge the size of accidentals in a figured bass ?
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2017 10:04:35 -0500

On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 9:25 AM, Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, 2017-04-18 at 14:47 +0100, Richard Shann wrote:
>> ;; hmm, how to get figures centered between note, and
>>     ;; lone accidentals too?
>>
>>      ; (if (markup? fig-markup)
>>      ;  (set!
>>      ;  fig-markup (markup #:translate (cons 1.0 0)
>>      ;                     #:center-align fig-markup)))
>
> This part of the code is commented out like this in
> translation-functions.scm, but I tried it out, and it improves the
> centering over whole-notes but makes it worse over other notes.
>
> I see that  (ly:event-property event 'duration) gives the duration of
> the note that the bass figure is on as:
>
> #<Duration 1 >
>
> for a whole note.
>
> so if I could test that I could use that code for this case (and the 1.
> case). But here my understanding of Guile's display syntax runs out ...
> what sort of a type is ly:event-property returning, and how do I test
> for particular values?

It's a Duration object.

Why not:

(if (and (markup? fig-markup)
            (eqv? 0 (ly:duration-log (ly:event-property event 'duration))))
    (set!
       fig-markup (markup #:translate (cons 1.0 0)
                                       #:center-align fig-markup)))

BTW, your snippet above won't compile because of the following:

 (plus-markup (if (eq? #t (ly:event-property event 'augmented))
                          (markup #:number \"+\")
                          #f))

Why are you trying to escape the quotation marks here?

Hope this helps--

David