Re: vocalName vs. instrumentName

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: vocalName vs. instrumentName
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2017 15:20:23 +0200

Am 20.04.2017 um 17:59 schrieb David Kastrup:
Simon Albrecht <address@hidden> writes:

Hello everybody,

I’m wondering: what are the historic and functional differences
between vocalName and instrumentName?
vocalName/shortVocalName are fallbacks when neither instrumentName nor
shortInstrumentName are set.  That's all seemingly.

Are there any? Does anybody have a clever policy when to use
vocalName? Does anybody use it at all?
Looks rather pointless to me, to be honest.

They were announced as a change in v2.2: <http://lilypond.org/website/misc/announce-v2.2> with the description ‘Voice names, for vocal lines, have been added. They are similar to instrument names. They can be set by defining |vocalName| and |vocNam|.’ – which doesn’t tell us how they’re _similar_, but different from instrument names. In vocal scores there is a convention of displaying the name of a singer upon entry as a markup above the staff, sometimes in a special font (sans serif, narrow). Now, if Instrument_name_engraver actually did such a thing that would be a very good feature, and a sensible use for vocalName.

Best, Simon