Re: Lines to edges of \center-column

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Lines to edges of \center-column
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2017 20:47:13 -0500

On Sun 23 Apr 2017 at 02:09:34 (+0200), address@hidden wrote:

> On 04/23/17 01:53, David Wright wrote:
> >I tried to provoke a problem, but I don't know my kanji from my kana,
> >and am not sure what you mean by "selectable".
>
> I mean they're marked in blue by ctrl-A or dragging (selected.png).

Then I don't know what you mean. When you drag over them, they turn
blue because you _have_ selected them (drag.png, apologies for the
size). Then you can paste them into, say, a bash shell command line
(pasted.png, the box at the right is the inactive cursor).

But why do you want to select part of a PDF like that when _you_
generated it? I often do that with _other_ people's PDFs when I
want to get at their text.

The rendition of the dragged area is entirely a function of the
viewer you're using. Xpdf always shows a rectangle and lifts
just the text therein, rather than being constrained by the lines
of text (xpdf.png, more apologies). However, I think it mixes up
its encodings so the pasted text makes little sense.

> >The greatest zoom I can manage is 1600%, and I can't see the joins.
> >The H bars were just to follow each of your characters with something.
>
> I'm pretty sure it's just some kind of rounding error in my PDF
> viewer, but you can see a seam between the first and second bar to
> right of the kanji in the second row (seam.png).
>
> Also note that the bars on the kana row are a lot longer and thinner
> than the kanji row.

That looks a lot like evince that you're using. Very good for reading
Chase credit card statements and encrypted PDFs, which xpdf can't
manage, but I hate the interface. Anyway, my guess is that evince
treats keeping the characters _as_ individual characters as its
priority, whereas xpdf tries to render what will print.
One really needs an armoury of PDF viewers.

So now the question becomes what do you want to produce these PDFs
for, and how are you going to ascertain which browser the consumers
are using? If I were sending them to my printers, my expectations
(and theirs) would be the sort of copies that I've shown magnified.

Cheers,
David.