Re: Hairpin endings

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: Hairpin endings
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2017 07:31:34 -0500

On Sun, Apr 23, 2017 at 5:34 AM, Andrew Bernard
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi David and Nathan,
>
> Apologies for a tardy response.
>
> Sincere thanks to both of you for your work on this. It's really useful to
> me. I prefer using the ly:line-interface::line version because of the way it
> inherits the grob properties.
>
> David, you naturally asked for the use cases I have for this, because it is
> very non-standard, for sure. There are several situations where this comes
> up in the scores I set. One common case is where the composer indicates a
> very long cresc. or decresc. between levels with open hairpins near an
> absolute mark such as ff, rather than cluttering page after page with
> immensely long hairpins. The attached snippet of an image gives some idea of
> this.

Thanks -- makes a lot more sense to me now.

> Once more, sincere thanks and appreciation.
>
> Next thing to do is to achieve the half dashed/half solid appearance - or
> can this be done already, in the same way that slurs can?

Not currently.  I suppose the best way would be to allow for
dash-definition in lily/line-interface.cc, so it could be read from
the grob.  But you could go the replacement stencil route.  I'm
guessing that you could make good use of Harm's code above as a
framework.

No time right now, but I should post my Scheme version of
ly:hairpin::print, so you can meddle directly with hairpins without
building a stencil solely for dimension info, then throwing it away.

-David