Re: strict notespacing with lyrics

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: strict notespacing with lyrics
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2017 11:50:47 -0500

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 11:13 AM, Kieren MacMillan
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Abraham,
>
>> So, the real question is this: can we make LyricText.self-alignment-X
>> dynamic instead of static? In other words, can we use a springs-like
>> mechanism between LyricText syllables, but that are more flexible than the
>> springs-and-rods between NoteColumns? That way, the NoteColumns would more
>> likely get into their normal rhythmic positions and the LyricText grobs
>> could float horizontally a bit, pushing each other around within their -1 to
>> 1 self-alignment-X range.
>
> This sounds really familiar…  ;)
>
>> Looking forward to everyone's thoughts on the matter.
>
> Love the basic idea — now let’s polish it, and implement it!
>
> 1. There should be a way to “group” a set of notes [with attached lyrics] —
> from 2 adjacent notes all the way up to “the whole score” — and then set the
> rigidity of the note-springs and lyric-springs as separate parameters.
>
> 2. There should be a parameter for how much “flex" the block has. Say you set
> notes.spring-rigidity = #1, so that Lilypond forces the notes to be “in
> perfect proportion” (essentially ignoring the lyrics). If the block of lyrics
> underneath are (e.g.) twice as wide as the set of notes, it would be nice for
> Lilypond to take that into account. Naively: perhaps Lily should try to
> compute the minimum amount of horizontal space required for the associated
> lyrics, and use that width as a ‘frame’ in which the notes are then
> distributed “perfectly”?

This seems to me to be an extremely complex undertaking, involving a
rewrite of a lot of spacing code.  I would vote to implement something
more modest, a simple adjustment of self-alignment-X, as per Abraham's
suggestion.  Much more likely to get takers.

Maybe we could revive the stalled lyric project?  Janek did a lot of
work breaking lyric issues down into manageable chunks.

My 2 cents...

David