Re: RehearsalMark adds unwanted space

From: Peter Crighton
Subject: Re: RehearsalMark adds unwanted space
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2017 03:28:47 +0200

> Hello all,
>
> when removing both the Clef and BarNumber engraver, an occasional
> RehearsalMark at the beginning of a line affects the horizontal position of
> the following note. How can I prevent this, so the first note of every line
> is in the same horizontal position? See example below.
>
> This is not unique to RehearsalMarks. For instance, if you did not remove
> the BarNumber engraver, every line would have that space at the beginning.
>

> \version "2.19.59"
>
> \relative c' {
>   R1 \break
>   \mark \default
>   \repeat unfold 2 {
>     \repeat unfold 2 {
>       c4 c c c
>     } \break
>   }
>   \mark \default
>   \repeat unfold 2 {
>     \repeat unfold 3 {
>       c4 c c c
>     } \break
>   }
> }
>
> \layout {
>   \context {
>     \Staff
>     \remove "Clef_engraver"
>   }
>
>   \context {
>     \Score
>     \remove "Bar_number_engraver"
>   }
> }
>

> Thanks,
> Peter

Not sure why this happens, as a workaround you could do:

\layout {
  \context {
    \Staff
    %\remove "Clef_engraver"
    \override Clef.stencil = #point-stencil
    \override Clef.space-alist.first-note = #'(fixed-space . 0) %% adjust!
  }

  \context {
    \Score
    %\remove "Bar_number_engraver"
    \override BarNumber.stencil = #point-stencil
    \override LeftEdge.space-alist.clef = #'(fixed-space . 0) %% adjust!

  Harm

Thank you, that works for me.
Although I think LeftEdge.space-alist.clef should be using extra-space; fixed-space is only compatible with first-note and next-note, according to the Internals Reference.

--
Peter Crighton | Musician & Music Engraver based in Mainz, Germany
http://www.petercrighton.de