Re: Feedback on cross stave slur

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Re: Feedback on cross stave slur
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2017 14:53:48 +1000

Hi Michael,

The Henle Verlag edition has no slur over this section. What source are you engraving from?

Aside from that if you need to shape slurs the best tool is the \shapeII function in the openlilylib library. If you need help setting it up, just mail me.

Fingerings? Unless the composer wrote them in, leave them out. They are always just opinion, and always wrong! I am delighted to report that _finally_ after decades Henle is now producing various editions available either with, or without fingerings. At last. I suspect this may have come about because amusingly the new digital software from Henle allows you to install any of several or many fingering annotations for a score, (which proves my point) and also to turn off fingerings altogether. Unwittingly they provided a great service to players!

My other comment relates to The Curse of A4 Paper. It's just too small. Same applies to US Letter. Your score has such narrow margins it is very hard to read. This is because A4/etc is simply too small for piano music. It is interesting to note that piano music has been printed on Klavierformat size (only available in Germany, otherwise a printers trim size) since mid 19c. There's enough room for a decent chunk of music at that size, still allowing generous margins. I do not know what can be done about this problem, except perhaps reduce the global size of everything (easily done in lilypond) but then you get into legibility problems. Although I see people on the train reading 4 point type on their phones regularly quite happily! B4 seems to be a solution to this problem, but it is a bit hard to buy.

Andrew