Re: Line breaks on a "where allowed" basis

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Line breaks on a "where allowed" basis
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2017 00:13:53 +0200

> As far as I can see, the default line breaking behaviour in Lilypond is
> roughly as follows:
> "Break where forced by user (\break), add additional line breaks 'for best
> result'."
>
> By issuing \override NonMusicalPaperColumn.line-break-permission = ##f, this
> behaviour may be changed to:
> "Break where forced by user (\break) and nowhere else".
>
> Is there a way to get something like
> "Break at most where allowed by user"?
>
> I.e. I want to tell Lilypond explicitly every point at which a line break
> would be acceptable, but I would like the program to determine which of
> these places to actually use for a line break.

Checkout:

\once
\override Score.NonMusicalPaperColumn.line-break-penalty = #-1

Also, see:
See IR 3.2.85 paper-column-interface

 line-break-penalty (number)

    Penalty for a line break at this column. This affects the choices
of the line breaker; it avoids a line break at a column with a
positive penalty and prefers a line break at a column with a negative
penalty.

Cheers,
  Harm