Re: Line breaks on a "where allowed" basis

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Line breaks on a "where allowed" basis
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2017 13:10:18 +0200

Lukas-Fabian Moser <address@hidden> writes:

>> > Is there a way to get something like
>> > "Break at most where allowed by user"?
>>
>> \once\autoLineBreaksOn ?
>

> Thanks a lot - sometimes it's so easy... :-)
>
> As for Thomas Morley's suggestion (setting penalties), this "sort of"
> works, but for me it created fewer line breaks, resulting in a
> not-so-pretty sqeezed layout.
>
>> presentation, three to eight measures each; line breaks in the middle of
>> an
>> > exercise being undesirable, and page breaks in the middle of an exercise
>> > being a no-go.)
>>
>> \once\autoPageBreaksOn
>>
>> But the latter will not work all that well since LilyPond chooses its
>> line breaks independently of its page breaks, so you'll only get a page
>> break when the permission coincides by chance with a line break.
>

> This is not a problem in my case - there are plenty of "allowed" line
> breaks,

Which is the problem.  If only 30% of your allowed line breaks are also
permissable for a page break, the likelihood that any particular line
break is "wrong" for a page break is 70%.

You can actually _also_ work with penalties in order to give more
preference to making line breaks at page-break-friendly position.

But LilyPond will still first create one long strip of paper without
considering page boundaries, and will only then look at where it has
made page-break-friendly line breaks for cutting this strip into pages.

> and as long as every page break occurs only at an allowed line break
> (this sounds quite tautological to me),

Allowed for a line break and allowed for a page break are two different
kinds of thing.

--
David Kastrup