Re: Center-align a score

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Center-align a score
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2017 16:09:02 +0200

> Hi David,
>
>>> I have learned that “You can’t do that with Lilypond” is a pretty
>>> foolish bet — especially when David K is on the case.  :)
>>
>> Well, in this case David N's solution is better since it uses the normal
>> (skyline-based) page positioning rather than treating everything as
>> markup lines.
>
> 1. I hadn’t seen his solution. I agree, it’s wonderful.
>
> 2. Perhaps I should have said “especially when David * is on the case”.  =)
>
> 3. Regardless, your solution was ingenious and helpful, as always.
>
>> Mine is easier to understand, and the \center-in-line or something more
>> general (align-in-line?) is really annoyingly absent in the LilyPond
>> markup toolbox.
>
> If I understand it correctly,
>
>   \center-in-line “foo” = \fill-line { “” “foo” “” }
>
> If so, I agree this would be a wonderful addition to the toolbox.

Yup.  More importantly,

\center-in-line { foo bar }
= { \fill-line { "" foo "" } \fill-line { "" bar "" } }

and that's something where straightforward \fill-line cannot be readily
employed, contorted or not: centering a whole markup list in a line
width box.

Even though I think that just \fill-line { foo } does centering,
splitting a markup list into separate markup lists with just a single
element each and processing each of those markup lists with a markup
command is not something available out of the box.

>> David N's solution is the better one but it is trickier to identify a
>> tangible component to abstract into a generally useful utility.
>
> I’m hoping (see my other email) that there might be a way to turn his
> solution into an \offset-like function for explict system
> positioning. That would be useful (though perhaps not as *generally*
> useful as something like \align-in-line).

Maybe.

--
David Kastrup