Re: Dotted lyric extenders

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Dotted lyric extenders
Date: Fri, 5 May 2017 10:20:18 +0200

> Hello! I am a relatively new Lilypond user and have been greatly enjoying the
> program. I would appreciate the capability of creating dotted rather than
> solid lyric extender lines, and am wondering whether this is possible (and
> how to place a feature request if it is not). Looking through past posts, I
> see that other users have made the same request, once in 2011 and again in
> 2014 (links below).

A feature request about dotted or dashed LyricExtenders needs to be
send to the bug-list.
Although this feature was requested before, it never reached the buglist.

> If it would help, I can provide several examples of
> published works (especially hymnals) using dotted lyric extender lines. For
> example, the image below is from the 1940 hymnal of the Episcopal Church.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help!
>
> Philip
> Charlottesville, VA
>
> http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/Extender-style-td33333.html
>
> http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/Filling-empty-space-in-inline-lyrics-with-dots-td154475.html#a161832
>
> <http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n202917/IMG_20170504_204003353_HDR.jpg>

Once 2.19.60 is released you could do something at the lines of:

\version "2.19.60"

dottedExtender = {
  \override LyricExtender.style = #'dashed-line
  \override LyricExtender.thickness = 2
  \override LyricExtender.dash-fraction = 0
  \override LyricExtender.stencil =
    #(lambda (grob)
      (let* ((stil (ly:lyric-extender::print grob))
             (x-ext (ly:stencil-extent stil X)))
         (make-connected-line
           (list
             (cons (car x-ext) 0)
             (cons (cdr x-ext) 0))
           grob)))
}

<<
\new Staff { c'2( d' e' f') g' }
\new Lyrics \lyricsto "" { \dottedExtender foo __ bar }

HTH,
  Harm