Re: Add second set of lyrics part way through a movement

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Add second set of lyrics part way through a movement
Date: Sat, 20 May 2017 19:33:23 -0500

On Sat 20 May 2017 at 20:27:06 (+0300), Emrecan Büyüktermiyeci wrote:
> You can use repeat unfold command for 61 blanked charackters.
>
> tcd=\lyricmode{
>     \repeat unfold 61 { _ }
>     do -- _ na no -- bis pa -- _ _ _ cem,

I would add one proviso to that construction, both the caveat
and the provision.  It will prevent failure where the words in
common don't occur at the beginning of the text (eg the refrain
for different verses). Because I use it a lot, I give it a very
short name, \n. So an example might look like:

 \addlyrics { These are the first __ _ set of nonce words for this work. }
 \addlyrics { \repeat unfold 3 _ se -- cond \n \repeat unfold 6 _ }
 \addlyrics { \repeat unfold 3 _ third __ _ \n \repeat unfold 6 _ }

The \n prevents all those _ syllables from making a very long
melisma, complete with extender in the third verse. Here's its
definition, and a few related extras.

 nbsp = \markup   % risky as invisible
 %%nbsp = \markup \char ##x00A0 % safer alternative
 n = \lyricmode { \nbsp } % stops a melisma being formed; only one needed
 blank = \lyricmode { " " } % prevents using vertical space, but _ will do
 nowt = \lyricmode { "" } % ditto, but can write a warning message
 blob = \lyricmode { ▬ } % for irregular hymns
 invisibledot = \lyricmode { \once \override LyricText.font-size = #-19 "." } %
take up room

Cheers,
David.