Re: Can an augmentation dot be parenthesized?

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Can an augmentation dot be parenthesized?
Date: Wed, 24 May 2017 22:39:24 +0200

> Dear all,
> I'm transcribing a few handwritten late 17th century fragments of music.
>
> There are a few problematic spots. (Perhaps the composer or writer was in a
> hurry, the whole thing is difficult to read anyway and it contains some
> symbols I've never seen before. see screensho.t)
>
> For two consecutive bars the time seems to have changed, from 6/2 to 5/2,
> which, as far as I know, was never done in that period. There is, in fact no
> time signature at all but 11 of the 13 bars in the fragment are clearly in
> 6/2 (or perhaps 3/1) and 2 bars contain notes and rests in both staves that
> add up to 5/2
>
> That leaves me with the choice: either to ignore it, or correct it. In the
> latter case I would have to add an augmentation dot to a few notes and rests.
>
> Can anybody tell what the standard procedure is in cases like this one:
> - ignore, i.e. tweaking things so that it looks exactly like the manuscript ,
> or
> - correct it. In the latter case the corrections or corrected symbols must
> probably be marked somehow. I can place (?) above the corrected note or rest,
> which is not very specific.
>
> I would tather like to parenthesize these added augmenation dots but I've not
> found a way to do that.
>
> Is it at all possible? And if yes, how?
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Robert Blackstone

Hi,

here my approach:

\version "2.19.60"

#(define (parenthesize-dot parentheses-item)
  (let* ((dot (ly:grob-object (ly:grob-parent parentheses-item Y) 'dot)))
    (if (not (null? dot))
        (begin
          (set! (ly:grob-object parentheses-item 'elements) '())
          ;; -0.2 found by try and error
          (ly:grob-set-property! parentheses-item 'padding -0.2)
          (ly:pointer-group-interface::add-grob parentheses-item 'elements dot)
          (ly:stencil-translate-axis
            (parentheses-item::print parentheses-item)
            0.2 ;; 0.2 found by try and error
            X))
        (parentheses-item::print parentheses-item))))

%% a possible tweak, not demonstrated in the example, thus commented
% parenthesizeDot =
%   \tweak ParenthesesItem.stencil #(lambda (grob) (parenthesize-dot
grob))
%   \parenthesize
%   \etc

parenthesizeDots =
  \temporary
  \override ParenthesesItem.stencil = #(lambda (grob) (parenthesize-dot grob))

defaultParentheses =
  \revert ParenthesesItem.stencil

{
    \time 3/4

    \parenthesizeDots

    \parenthesize d'2.
    <\parenthesize d' f'>2.
    < d' \parenthesize f'>2.
    \parenthesize r2.
    \parenthesize <d' f'>2.
    %% no effect here, because \parenthesize is missing, although the
    %% ParenthesesItem.stencil-override is present
    <d' f'>2.

    %% back to default
    \defaultParentheses
    \parenthesize <d' f'>2.