Re: Export to ?????

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Export to ?????
Date: Thu, 25 May 2017 10:46:54 +0200

Don Gingrich <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thu, 25 May 2017 09:08:35 Richard Shann wrote:
>> On Thu, 2017-05-25 at 17:45 +1000, Don Gingrich wrote:
>> > If not, then I suggest that this is a "lock-in" similar
>> > to that of some of the M$ programs.
>>
>> There is a crucial difference, you are entitled, indeed, encouraged to
>> write such an exporter.
>
> I'll agree with that. Just feeing frustrated at the moment
> since my primary collaborator is essentially 100% Finale
> and has some idiosyncratic ideas about how music should
> be handled.
>
> His thinking is that for Folk Music, the musician should learn
> "by ear", though as a concession, he'll allow scores. And the
> MP3 files that I generate in a work-flow that is:
>
> MIDI -> WAV ->MP3
>
> Don't satisfy him.
>
> <Grumble>

This is only partly a problem with LilyPond.  But partly, it indeed is.

And partly, that is because programmers, the kind of people actually
improving LilyPond and its tools, often work with LilyPond because they
very much prefer working with it over other tools, so interchange tends
to be lower on the agenda than if such an agenda was based on the
"average user" rather than the "average contributor".

I still don't agree that this is anything like the walled gardens of
Microsoft.  There is no wall, just a limit to the range of the water
sprinklers.

--
David Kastrup