Re: Chords in LilyPond

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Chords in LilyPond
Date: Thu, 25 May 2017 09:28:09 -0400

Hi Matthew (et al.),

> This is why I think the chord names -> music -> chord names flow is a problem.

The fact that this flow exists is great, IMO.
The fact that this is the *only* flow is clearly a problem.

> Real users

When talking about users, unnecessary and fallacious qualifications like “real”
aren’t helpful to the conversation, in content or tone. I’m a "real user” —
well, at least I *think* I am…? (pace, PKD!) — and I often [have to] "think in
terms of a translation from input to notes and then from notes to output”.

> The natural way for typesetting of chord names to occur is by a direct mapping
> from input chord names to output chord names without going through
> the current "music" data struture consisting of notes, at all.

Well, that certainly is *one* natural way.

As I’ve pointed out in other parts of this thread, there are evidently other
ways (e.g., starting from a music data structure) which are equally valid.
Losing any one of the three parts of information flow — input, throughput, and
output — would by definition be a loss of power, and a shame. Working out a way
to manipulate and/or sidestep the throughput stage (which is essentially what
you’re suggesting) would be a *gain* of power, and a welcome improvement.

Sincerely,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info