Re: Chords in LilyPond

From: Henning Hraban Ramm
Subject: Re: Chords in LilyPond
Date: Fri, 26 May 2017 13:27:37 +0200

Am 2017-05-25 um 06:03 schrieb Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden>:

>> What I think is most needed is a chord-naming mode that *just prints what
>> the user typed*, formatted with the fonts, spacing, and so on that we
>> expect for chord names - not translating it to an "internal
>> representation" of notes plus extra data as LilyPond "music" at all.
>
> I agree that there should be a “markup mode”, so that the user can type what
> they want — despite the fact that they’ll be shooting themselves in the foot
> regarding code reuse (e.g., transposition).

Me too. ;)

I don’t know enough of the internals - would it be possible to define a mapping
of my own "markup mode" idiosyncrazies to "the new LilyPond chord meaning mode"
to get on paper/PDF how I want it to look and in MIDI how I want it to sound?
(I don’t care about other possibilities like analysis, but if those are
included - welcome!)

I typeset mostly folk song sheets with guitar chords, and sometimes I would
some chords to be played exactly as I would do it. Maybe that’s already
possible and I should RTFM.
Sometimes I just know which strings I use, but don’t know how I should call the
chord (might be some inversion).

Greetlings, Hraban
---
fiëé visuëlle