Re: Chords in LilyPond

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Chords in LilyPond
Date: Fri, 26 May 2017 15:05:14 -0400

Hi Matthew and Simon,

>> { c4 } does not print a ‘4’
> That's not a chord.

Do you both really have that much difficulty figuring out what the other is
saying?
(Don’t bother answering — that was a rhetorical question.)

Simon isn’t saying, suggesting, or even implying that c4 is a chord. He’s
saying that users seem to be perfectly comfortable typing “c4” and seeing an
output (i.e., musical notation) which is vastly different from the text/string
‘c4’. He’s therefore wondering why chord mode is any different — why, suddenly,
does the “ordinary Lilypond user” (again, whatever that possibly means?) expect
the input to match the output.

And I must say, I see his point: your implication seems to be that the
tolerance the “ordinary user” apparently has for working in a notoriously
uninviting and unfriendly [other people’s words, not mine!] non-GUI-based
batch-processed music engraving system suddenly disappears [only] when it comes
to chords…

Regards,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer