Re: Chords in LilyPond

From: mskala
Subject: Re: Chords in LilyPond
Date: Fri, 26 May 2017 14:07:31 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 26 May 2017, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
> You do know that you’re not *forced* to use ChordNames, right? (Of

> If you want to type something and simply have it appear as you typed it
> (i.e., with no use or need for manipulations like transposition), why
> not just use Lyrics? It already does exactly what you want, e.g.

That in fact is what I do in my own engraving.  It works pretty well; not
perfectly because the spacing and fonts aren't the same as would be
produced by the ChordNames context.  Last time I discussed this suggestion
on the list, I suggested that the code for \chordtext could well be
derived from the lyrics code.  But this approach isn't discoverable for a
user who only reads the instructions.

--
Matthew Skala
address@hidden                 People before principles.