Re: Chords in LilyPond

From: mskala
Subject: Re: Chords in LilyPond
Date: Fri, 26 May 2017 14:22:10 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 26 May 2017, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
> And I must say, I see his point: your implication seems to be that the
> tolerance the “ordinary user” apparently has for working in a
> notoriously uninviting and unfriendly [other people’s words, not mine!]
> non-GUI-based batch-processed music engraving system suddenly disappears
> [only] when it comes to chords…

I'm describing what I have seen on the list.  Users frequently come here
to ask "When I typed this chord symbol, why was something else engraved?".
They do not ask that about single notes.  We can guess as to why it
happens with chord symbols and not with single notes, and I think your
guess that it's because chord symbols look like text and notes do not is a
good guess.  But it ultimately doesn't matter *why* it happens.  It does
happen.  Wouldn't it be nice if it didn't happen?

What I see is a problem that really occurs, frequently, and could be
solved easily.  And a resistance to solving it in the way that would work,
because that solution would not also solve hypothetical problems that do
not frequently occur and could be solved in other ways anyway.  This seems
like cutting off the nose to spite the face.

--
Matthew Skala
address@hidden                 People before principles.