Trouble with Polyphony

From: Jon Arnold
Subject: Trouble with Polyphony
Date: Fri, 26 May 2017 22:06:46 -0500

I'm trying to print a note simultaneous to a rest but have the rest be in normal \oneVoice position. (This is to illustrate a harp muffle of a single note.)

This is basically how I'm doing it (minus the complicated code of replacing the stem glyph):
<< { r8 } {\tiny \stemDown \omit Flag bes,,8} >>

The problem is that this also affects the fontsize of the rest (which seems odd to me since they in separate braces).

So I tried:
<< {r8} \new Voice {\tiny \stemDown \omit Flag bes,} >>
But this gives a compiling error:
Drawing systems...lilypond: /home/gub/NewGub/gub/target/linux-64/src/lilypond-git.sv.gnu.org--lilypond.git-release-unstable/flower/include/drul-array.hh:35: T& Drul_array<T>::at(Direction) [with T = double]: Assertion `d == 1 || d == -1' failed.
Aborted

I get the same error if use the \\ part separator and use \oneVoice on the rest to try to get it in the right spot.

Oddly though, I do not get the error using the last line of code in a blank file, but it does not print the rest within the staff.

I'm using 2.19.61.

Thanks for any help.