Re: EVENT_IDENTIFIER using \grace

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: EVENT_IDENTIFIER using \grace
Date: Sat, 27 May 2017 15:51:01 +0200

"Christophe GODEFROY" <address@hidden> writes:

> Thanks David for your message.
>
> You are correct the issue was from the []. You point me to the issue
> The correct code is
>
> \context Voice { d8. ([\grace {e32 (d cis d)} e16]) \appoggiatura eis fis2}

Again: the way you arrange your input makes it look like you expect ([
to apply to \grace ... rather than the preceding d8.  And

([...]) looks like the expectation that those constructs _nest_ in some
manner which they don't.  Written more in the manner in which it works
it would be

\new Voice { d8.([ \grace { e32( d cis d) } e16]) \appogiatura eis16 fis2 }

The results will be the same, of course.  But you are likely not doing
yourself a favor by formatting your input in a manner that matches your
sense of aesthetics better than the underlying realities: while it
doesn't make a difference to LilyPond, it may lead you to wrong
conclusions.  It may also make it harder for you to find "suitable"
input for constructs like

c( d)( e)

which you would likely then write as

c (d) (e)

which only looks more symmetric but isn't.  And does not behave well
when combined with other constructs, like you discovered.

--
David Kastrup