Re: Chords in LilyPond

From: Robert Schmaus
Subject: Re: Chords in LilyPond
Date: Sun, 28 May 2017 18:18:51 +0200

Hi Charles,

how good of you to send a summary of this thread. I was very interested in it as you wrote the first mail but couldn't reply right away. And when I could, the thread had already grown so huge, I just could not keep up all posts. So it might well be that what I write has already been discussed. And it is quite possible that what I write is already covered by your plans without me realising it ... If so - sorry for the noise!

Anyway, there is one thing that I have trouble with in writing jazz lead sheets. It's about dominant 7th chords with #5. There are several versions of it (I'll use C as root): C7(#5), C7alt, C+7.

Seen solely as chord for comping, all of those could in principle be written as c : 7.5+ in chordmode, but the point is that they carry information about the underlying scale to be used in soloing (and of course melody). Basically, C7alt means that the underlying scale is the altered one, so

C Db Eb E Gb Ab Bb

whereas C+7 means that the underlying scale is the whole tone one

C D E F# G# A#

and I think that the notation C7(#5) might just be a variant of the altered chord. But I'm not sure right now - they both appear and might well have different implications about the underlying scale.

My point is, right now the only of distinguishing these chords is by using parts of the explicit scale in chord mode to distinguish them.
I've chosen to use

c : 7.5+     for C7(#5)
c : 7.5+.2   for C+7
c : 7.5+.2-  for C7aug

which of course doesn"t sound nice in the midi output. I can live with that - the midi is secondary for me, but it would of course be great to have some sort of interface to define "alt7 means to use 'alt7' in the ChordNames context of the layout but to use just (e.g.) < c e gis bes > in a Staff context or in midi".

I hope what I write makes some sort of sense ...

Another thing (which might have been discussed already on the thread) was: For reasons of clarity and brevity it sometimes is very helpful to write stuff like

Bb-7   /Ab    /Gb    /F

instead of having the root chord Bb-7 in each chord all the time. It would be great if there were an easy possiblity to suppress the chord and just leave the bass there. Right now that is not easily done ...

Anyway thanks for putting all that effort into this!
All the best,
Robert