Re: Chords in LilyPond

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Chords in LilyPond
Date: Mon, 29 May 2017 09:38:57 -0400

Hi Peter,

> I have struggled to understand what is being discussed.

Sorry for that. Hopefully, when the project is *implemented*, the user
interface won’t provide a barrier to understanding.

> Am I correct in seeing “semantics” in this way ?

We are using semantics in the sense of “what does the chord mean?”. In a simple
example, consider the chords

  <c e g a>

Is this a C major triad with added 6th, or an A minor 7th chord in first
inversion? The notes in each are the same, but the meaning is different.

Hope that helps!
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info