Re: Chords in LilyPond

From: Wols Lists
Subject: Re: Chords in LilyPond
Date: Mon, 29 May 2017 16:14:13 +0100

On 29/05/17 06:04, Carl Sorensen wrote:
> Charles's project is not to solve all three of these.  In fact, his
> project is not to completely solve any one of them.  Rather, his problem
> is to determine how best to save the semantics, so that assuming the
> semantics are properly entered in chordmode (probably including some
> extensions to the current chordmode, or maybe even a start from scratch
> rewrite, but that's out of scope for this project), the semantics will be
> kept as part of the chord, and thus be available for the
> chord_name_engraver to use when generating a chord name.

Just thinking out loud, but there's a fairly standard format for figured
bass, isn't there? If we've got chordmode and notemode, it wouldn't be
hard to add figuredbassmode, would it? That actually gives you quite a
lot of semantic information I think :-)

And it sets a bit of a precedent for "if you want a weird chord format,
define your own input/output mode" :-)

Cheers,
Wol