Re: certain type of vocal notation in liturgical contexts

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: certain type of vocal notation in liturgical contexts
Date: Wed, 31 May 2017 15:17:04 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jonathan Scholbach" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2017 2:56 PM

Dear Ponders,

I would like to typeset a certain type of notation, which can be found
in liturgical context. I have an example image attached. (Ignore the
lyrics written in Fraktur). I have two questions:
   1. How is this notation called?
   2. How can I (easily) reproduce it with LP? - a question which might
break apart into:
       2a) how do I typeset those "double-quarter" notes?
       2b) how do I manage the alignment of lyrics conveniently? (NB
that  several times there happen to be multiple syllables on one note).

Thank you!

Jonathan

It would generally be called chant:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/chants-psalms-and-hymns

The double quarters would be set with ties between them.

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/writing-rhythms#ties

Lilypond can align multiple syllables to a single note:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/common-notation-for-vocal-music#multiple-syllables-to-one-note

HTH

--
Phil Holmes