pushing items "through" or "beyond" other contexts

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: pushing items "through" or "beyond" other contexts
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2017 15:00:40 -0400

Hello all,

No compilable code/snippet here… just a thought-experiment/question for
discussion.

Is there any way (currently possible, or relatively easily coded) that items in
one context can be independently pushed “through” or “beyond” other contexts?

As one (obvious) example, say I start with

 \new PianoStaff <<
   \new Staff = “upper” \upperStuff
   \new Dynamics = “dyn” \centredDynamics
   \new Staff = “lower” \lowerStuff

Now let’s say I want one particular dynamic (in the centred context) to appear
*above* the upper staff. I would love to write

 \once \alignAboveContext = “upper” s4\p

or whatever. (Right now, I just use the edition-engraver and an extra-offset
tweak.)

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Kieren.