Re: pushing items "through" or "beyond" other contexts

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: pushing items "through" or "beyond" other contexts
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2017 15:53:31 -0400

Hi,

> Couldn't you do \new Dynamics { \alignAboveContext = "upper" s4/p }?

No.  =\

p.s. I’ve now included a compilable snippet, if anyone wants to try stuff out.

Thanks,
Kieren.

%%%  SNIPPET BEGINS
\version "2.19.61"

upperStuff = {
 c''2 d''4( c'')
}

centredDynamics = {
  s2\f
  % I want the following dynamic above the upper staff.
  % Currently, I have to use extra-offset (or similar)
  \once \override DynamicText.extra-offset = #'(0 . 8.5)
  s2\p
}

lowerStuff = {
  \clef bass
  c1
}

\new PianoStaff <<
  \new Staff = “upper” \upperStuff
  \new Dynamics = “dyn” \centredDynamics
  \new Staff = “lower” \lowerStuff

%%%  SNIPPET ENDS

> On 06/02/2017 09:00 PM, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
>> Hello all,
>> No compilable code/snippet here… just a thought-experiment/question for
>> discussion.
>> Is there any way (currently possible, or relatively easily coded) that items
>> in one context can be independently pushed “through” or “beyond” other
>> contexts?
>> As one (obvious) example, say I start with
>>  \new PianoStaff <<
>>    \new Staff = “upper” \upperStuff
>>    \new Dynamics = “dyn” \centredDynamics
>>    \new Staff = “lower” \lowerStuff
>>>>
>> Now let’s say I want one particular dynamic (in the centred context) to
>> appear *above* the upper staff. I would love to write
>>  \once \alignAboveContext = “upper” s4\p
>> or whatever. (Right now, I just use the edition-engraver and an extra-offset
>> tweak.)
>> Thoughts?
>> Thanks,
>> Kieren.