Re: Alignment problem

From: Giampaolo Orrigo
Subject: Re: Alignment problem
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2017 17:32:52 -0400

Thanks! That solved the problem perfectly!

Geppo

On Sun, Jun 4, 2017 at 4:28 PM, Trevor Daniels <address@hidden> wrote:
Thanks, it's so much easier to help when we have
an immediately accessible working code to play with.

For most of this extract only two voices are needed in
the treble clef and two in the bass clef, i.e. voices
one and two in the treble and also voices one and two
in the bass.  This is fine until you switch clefs in
bar 6: then when you set the stem to be up you have two
notes with stems up (voiceOne), but with different durations.
Not good.

Here you need a third voice if you want the
stems in the direction indicated, like this:

Alto = \relative c'' {
  \global
  % Music follows here.
  \showStaffSwitch
  b, a g2 d' g~ g4 f e d c1 c2. b4
  \change Staff=down \voiceThree
  \once \override NoteColumn.force-hshift = 1.5
  a g f e d2
  \change Staff=up \voiceTwo
  d'4 c
}
You'll then find you can adjust the positioning using
force-hshift on any note and with any value to suit your
preference.  Perhaps like this:

Alto = \relative c'' {
  \global
  % Music follows here.
  \showStaffSwitch
  b, a g2 d' g~ g4 f e d c1 c2. b4
  \change Staff=down \voiceThree
  \once \override NoteColumn.force-hshift = 1.5
  a g f e d2
\change Staff=up \voiceTwo d'4 c
}
Baxo = \relative c {
  \global
  % Music follows here.
  \showStaffSwitch
  g1\rest g'2. f4 e4 d c b a g f2 f'1
  \once \override NoteColumn.force-hshift = 1.5
  f4 e d c bf a g2~
}
NB Always avoid fiddling with the stem direction using
\stemUp and \stemDown.  If you feel the need to use these
you almost certainly should be thinking of changing the
voice instead.

Trevor