Re: quoteDuring with lyrics

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: quoteDuring with lyrics
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2017 22:12:59 +0200

Hi Kieren,

as far as I understand:

> Hi Phil,
>
>> I wonder whether it's down to Lily changing the voice during some quoted
>> passages?
>
> Good guess… but I'm not [explicitly] using anything but single voices in this
> passage.
>
> I've included, below, a M(?)WE which fails in a slightly different way than
> my "real-world" score. The particular way this snippet fails suggests [to me]
> that the \skip construct I'm using as the second parameter of \quoteDuring
> isn't playing nicely; that could also explain the (slightly different)
> failure in my "real-world" score. If this *is* the problem, it sort of makes
> sense… but I can't figure out another way to indicate the duration(s) I want
> quoted.
>
> Cheers,
> Kieren.
>
> %%%  SNIPPET BEGINS
> \version "2.19.60"
>
> sop = {
>   a'4 4 4 4 \break
>   a'4 4 2 \break
>   a'4 4 4 4
> }
> \addQuote #"sop" \sop

the lyrics of sopL are all entered with default-duration:

> sopL = \lyricmode {
>   These are quoted words.
>   These are not.
>   Quote these a -- gain.
> }

and addQuote works with this default-duration.

> \addQuote #"sopL" \sopL
>
> alto = {
>   \quoteDuring #"sop" s1
>   f'4 4 2
>   \quoteDuring #"sop" s1
> }

Now sopL-lyrics are quoted according to this *default*-duration.
So the second quote is
these a -- gain
nothing else!

> altoL = \lyricmode {
>   \quoteDuring #"sopL" \repeat unfold 4 { \skip 8 }
>   Not these ones.
>   \quoteDuring #"sopL" \repeat unfold 4 { \skip 8 }
> }
>
> <<
>   \new Staff \new Voice = "s" \sop
>   \addlyrics \sopL
>   \new Staff \new Voice = "a" \alto
>   \addlyrics \altoL
>>>
> %%%  SNIPPET ENDS

One could say the lyrics are quoted _before_ they are assigned to
their corresponding note.

You could circumvent it by entering durations in sopL. It wouldn't
disturb addlyrics or lyricsto, afaik, but addQuote would have the
chance to work as you expect. Though, I have my doubts you would want
to do so.

Cheers,
  Harm