Re: quoteDuring with lyrics

From: Vaughan McAlley
Subject: Re: quoteDuring with lyrics
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2017 16:08:25 +1000

On 6 June 2017 at 11:31, Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi David,

>> [David K:]
>>> Entering lyrics with durations actually saves a lot of headaches
>> Beyond this issue, what other headache-savings can you point to?
>
> Not having to bother with melismata and slurs and autobeaming and whatnot.

Not sure what you mean by "not having to bother with"…? (e.g. It certainly seems I still have to add extenders manually in order to show melismata.)

> I think it is a bit similar to using \relative versus \fixed et al: you
> don't have to coax something to work in a purportedly simpler way
> depending more on local details.

As you may recall, I'm a die-hard anti-\relative-ite.  =)

> It's not really a good sell unless you have been bitten often enough.

Hmmm… So far, I'm not loving explicit lyric durations.
I'll play with it a bit more, but my first impression is that it will ultimately be superior to use \addlyrics and abandon the dream of quotable lyrics.

Thanks,
Kieren.