Re: partcombine and quote don't play well together

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: partcombine and quote don't play well together
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2017 13:46:31 -0400

Hi David,

> I'd put in my usual rant about the ungrateful and underpaid work to
> improve infrastructure until user-accessible features become low-hanging
> fruit and can be implemented for a smile and a song, but it is a bit
> pointless since there aren't smiles and songs for those either.

1. I have often given my explicit thanks (both on-list and off-list) for
improvements at both infrastructure and "low-hanging fruit" levels. Every time
I notice a particularly nice improvement, I do so. I will continue to do so,
despite the fact that my effort apparently isn't registering.

2. On several occasions, I've offered (either on-list or off-list) unsolicited
post-hoc payment for such work. Most of the time, they have been explicitly
refused by the associated programmer. At least twice, it was suggested that I
pay someone other than the associated programmer — which I promptly did. I will
continue to do so, despite the fact that my effort apparently isn't registering.

3. I have always been, and continue to be, happy to sponsor infrastructure
improvements. That being said: (a) I am in no financial position to offer a
monthly amount of any significance; and (b) nobody has ever asked me to sponsor
infrastructure *other* than "please consider a monthly donation".

On the rare occasions that I do have some extra money burning a hole in my
pocket, I am happy to sponsor whatever moves Lilypond forward the fastest. If
there are other "smiles and songs" that you need, please let me know so I can
consider them.

> I don't really see a lot happening apart from "people do what they want to
> see done themselves".

I get that. And I don't begrudge that. Which was exactly why I asked if I'm the
only one who wants to see partcombine improve further.

> In your case, you might want to take a look at add-quotable at the end
> of scm/part-combiner.scm, see how you could possibly extract multiple
> contexts from there, design a user interface for quoting those multiple
> contexts resulting from a partcombine operation (or pick out a Lyrics
> context instead of a Voice context) and go from there.

Thank you for the concrete suggestion.

Regards,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer