Re: quoteDuring with lyrics

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: quoteDuring with lyrics
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2017 19:56:37 +0000

On 6/6/17 1:37 PM, "Kieren MacMillan" <address@hidden>
wrote:

>Hi Carl (et al.),
>
>> Even though I think like a programmer, I have found that the extra
>> fragmentation of code caused by using notes in variables is in many
>>cases
>> worse that redundant note typing.
>
>I agree. That's why I'm hoping to maximize the possibility of quotation
>(as opposed to abstraction) mechanisms. Code like
>
>  sop = {
>    c''4 4 4 4
>    d''4 4 4 4
>    e''4 4 4 4
>  }
>  \addQuote #"sop" \sop
>
>  alt = {
>    \quoteDuring #"sop" s1
>    c'4 4 4 4
>    \quoteDuring #"sop" s1
>  }

Now I see what you are thinking.  Yes, this would greatly help the
problems I face in trying to keep the music accessible.

It seems like if it were possible to make \addQuote work on music
expressions, rather than during translation, the partcombine problem would
be solved.  But then there would have to be some sort of "pre-translation"
that would be needed, which sounds like a never-ending rabbit hole.  So
during translation is probably the logically correct time.  And probably
we would need to develop a way to capture multiple Bottom contexts in the
quoting mechanism, like David suggested.

Personally, I'm a bit (or more probably, a lot) fuzzy about how the
internals of \addQuote and \quoteDuring work.

Thanks,

Carl