Re: Cross-staffs where a note is already displaced

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Cross-staffs where a note is already displaced
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2017 11:58:36 -0500

On Mon 12 Jun 2017 at 09:17:31 (+0200), Thomas Morley wrote:
> > I can't figure out how to make crossStaff work when one component
> > has been displaced by the interval of a second. I came up with a
> > hack (a hidden note) in example 3, but it has the side effect of
> > leaving the accidental (when there is one) rather far over.
> > Is there a better way?
>
> See:
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2016-11/msg00230.html
>
> For your example:
>
> \version "2.19.59"
>
> \header { tagline = ##f }
>
> pushNC =
> \once \override NoteColumn.X-offset =
[…]

Thanks for this code. I searched back through the archives, but
skated straight over this thread because I didn't recognise its
relevance, perhaps because there wasn't an image of Andrew/LP's
failing case. (Most of Andrew's scores are far too esoteric for
me to understand.)

Would I be right in thinking it searches through the grobs for
this moment, finds out if any have been displaced, and returns
the displacement? Would it be worth having a snippet with a
title that involves words like "determining the horizontal
displacement of colliding simultaneous notes for eg crossstaffs"
so that google (and others) might find it?

Despite having some scheme code that I don't understand
bundled into an .ily file, it makes my LP code much simpler.
Thanks again.

Cheers,
David.