Re: point-and-click to the finger not the moon

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: point-and-click to the finger not the moon
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2017 17:34:44 -0400

Hi Pierre-Luc,

> How could the editor know?
> What if VariableA is used by two voices? Which one should it refer to?

The one you clicked on in the PDF.  ;)

I suppose in the *extremely rare* circumstance that a single grob is contained
at exactly the same [physical] spot in the same parent (e.g., Staff) context in
two or more different Voice contexts and the source of that grob is a variable…
well, I guess the editor would have to give up or present multiple targets. But
I've never had or seen that situation in my 16 years of using Lilypond — I
can't even quite figure out how it could happen…

> From what I understand, the editor would have to be at least as wise
> as LilyPond to figure that out.

No… it already has the PDF to work backwards from (which Lilypond doesn't).

> Well, in most of my files, Frescobaldi fails to "Jump to [my] definition"s.
> It just cannot look around in my whole project(computer) to know where
> that definition is.
>
> % \begin{bogus example} :
> definitions.ily : someCommand = {…}
> music.ily : music = {…}
> theContent.ily : <<\someCommand \music>>
> engravePlease.ly = \include "music.ily" \include "definitions.ily"
> \include "theContent.ily"

I still don't see how that path can't be navigated in reverse (i.e., from the
PDF back to the source locations): if you can do it manually (which I'm sure
you can), then it almost certainly can be automated.

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info