naïve note-lyric spacing resolution

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: naïve note-lyric spacing resolution
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2017 11:38:01 -0400

Hello again,

Here's another example, solved a different way.

BEFORE. Even with lyrics horizontally compressed to help, there are visible note-spacing distortions:

AFTER. I \omit-ted the lyrics (so that note-spacing reverted to 100% 'neutral' spacing), then added the text back in (without any horizontal glyph compression required!) as a hand-tweaked markup:

There are obviously improvements that could still be made, but this is closer to what I want in my score than the "BEFORE" version. If I could take a *little* of the space out after each non-16th note and gain it back after each 16th, it would be nearly perfect.

Regardless, this takes a *huge* amount of manual effort — as much as I hate to admit it, it takes more effort even than it would in something like Finale or Sibelius [!!].

Any help (however hackish) would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info