Re: parts sharing a staff

From: Shevek
Subject: Re: parts sharing a staff
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2017 21:09:04 -0700 (MST)

I don't mind having to insert the occasional layout-related command — I
actually prefer the ability to switch between clearly defined behaviors,
rather than have Lilypond try to guess which to use. (IMO, the fact that the
Automatic mode exists is the biggest design philosophy problem with
partcombiner.) The biggest problem caused by inserting commands mid-music is
that it breaks up multi-measure rests for the parts, but I wrote a snippet a
few years ago that stitches the multi-measure rests back together.

Correct me if I'm misunderstanding, but it sounds like you're using the
edition engraver to do various score layouts, but in each version the staff
distribution will stay the same throughout the piece. My use case is a bit
different, as within the course of a piece I need to be able to condense
orchestral winds into shared staves and split them up again, depending on
the musical context. I don't see how it would be possible to do that without
inserting layout commands into the music code.

>From my perspective, the annoyance is that there are several separate
engraving issues that depend upon one another and upon system breaking:

1) Which parts are on which staff when, and whether they are unison, chords,
or voices? In particular, when switching from unison or chords to separate
staves, if the same-staff passage continues over a system break it should
automatically split into separate staves wherever the break happens to
occur. The command to go to separate staves should appear just before the
passage to which it applies.

2) The staff naming depends on the status of the divisi and the system
breaking, as we alluded to earlier.

3) Some text markups change depending on whether staves are combined. For
instance, it should read "solo" or "1. solo" depending on whether the player
needs to be specified. Also, "a2" should automatically be reprinted after
measures of rest.

The most critical thing for me is being able to do score and parts from the
same music, so that I can revise and compose cleanly.