Re: parts sharing a staff

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: parts sharing a staff
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2017 06:46:54 -0400

Hi Shevek,

> I don't mind having to insert the occasional layout-related command —
> I actually prefer the ability to switch between clearly defined behaviors,
> rather than have Lilypond try to guess which to use.

I like having both options.  =)

> The biggest problem caused by inserting commands mid-music is
> that it breaks up multi-measure rests for the parts

That's definitely a problem. I also just prefer separating presentation from
content as much as possible — putting (e.g.) \partcombineChords right in
fluteII is great when I'm combining fluteI & fluteII, but maybe doesn't make
sense if I'm combining fluteII & fluteIV in some other edition/score, etc.

> Correct me if I'm misunderstanding, but it sounds like you're using the
> edition engraver to do various score layouts, but in each version the staff
> distribution will stay the same throughout the piece.

No — the staff distribution changes.

> My use case is a bit different, as within the course of a piece
> I need to be able to condense orchestral winds into shared staves
> and split them up again, depending on the musical context.

Yes, I do that.

> I don't see how it would be possible to do that without
> inserting layout commands into the music code.

The edition-engraver can "inject" the layout commands into the score at the
correct moment. For example, I use the e-e to put a \showMMRs command into a
frenched score where I want to force an empty staff to appear (where it
otherwise wouldn't).

> 1) Which parts are on which staff when, and whether they are unison, chords,
> or voices? In particular, when switching from unison or chords to separate
> staves, if the same-staff passage continues over a system break it should
> automatically split into separate staves wherever the break happens to
> occur. The command to go to separate staves should appear just before the
> passage to which it applies.
>
> 2) The staff naming depends on the status of the divisi and the system
> breaking, as we alluded to earlier.
>
> 3) Some text markups change depending on whether staves are combined. For
> instance, it should read "solo" or "1. solo" depending on whether the player
> needs to be specified. Also, "a2" should automatically be reprinted after
> measures of rest.
>
> The most critical thing for me is being able to do score and parts from the
> same music, so that I can revise and compose cleanly.

I agree with all of this. Being able to do score and parts from the same music
is yet another reason I always want to keep the music code clear of any
presentation-layer commands.

I'll put together a small example of how I use the edition-engraver to inject
presentation commands into a score. Until you see it in action, I imagine it
would be hard to understand what I'm talking about (and the power of that
ability).

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer