Re: Jianpu install and snippets

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Jianpu install and snippets
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2017 03:23:07 +0000

On 6/18/17 6:52 AM, "Molbo" <address@hidden> wrote:

>Dear lilyponders
>
>I am in China and getting more and more frustrated since I really need to
>google some of these questions, but google is blocked.
>I am using win10 in Chinese and have installed Lilypond 2.18.2, because I
>want to make scoresheets with jianpu notation. I have never used Lilypond
>before. So I have a few questions.
>1) how do I install the python code made by Silas S. Brown? Do I have to
>compile the .py file? If so how do I compile it? Which directory do I put
>the file in?

There is no installation required for the python file.  Here is a link
that describes how python programs are run under windows:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4235834/how-to-make-python-scripts-exec
utable-on-windows

You will want to open a command prompt window, and change the directory to
the one containing jianpu-ly.py.

Then you will type

jianpu-ly.py <your-input-file.txt >your-lilypond-file.ly

This will read the text file your-input-file.txt and convert it to a
lilypond file your-lilypond-file.ly.  You then run your-lilypond-file.ly
through lilypond to get output.

>2) where can I find snippets of jianpu notation for Lilypond? I found a
>list of commands for writing jianpu, but would like some snippets also.

I do not know where any snippets are.  Ming Tsang may have some.

>3) does jianpu work with frescobaldi?

jianpu-ly.py does not work with frescobaldi.  You may be able to use the
Frescobaldi preferences to set one of the Helper Functions to be right for
running jianpu-ly.py.

The lilypond code generated by jianpu-ly.py does work with Frescobaldi.

Note that there is also a way to generate jianpu directly from lilypond
input, although by reading the emails I understand that it does not look
as nice.  See
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2015-04/msg01342.html

This has a lilypond file that can be included in your project to create
jianpu notation.  it will work with Frescobaldi.

Hope this helps,

Carl