Re: Circular dependencies - Deadlock

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Circular dependencies - Deadlock
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2017 22:21:01 +0200

On 21.06.2017 22:03, address@hidden wrote:
On Wed, 21 Jun 2017, Michael Käppler wrote:
foo.ily:
\include "bar.ly"
bar.ly:
\include "foo.ily"
Am I right to consider this a bug?
I don't think so - at least not a bug in Lilypond.  It's just doing what
you told it to do, and most other language parsers that have an "include"
facility will similarly be unable to give a useful result when fed
infinitely recursive include files.  The usual advice to users is not to
write such input.

And indeed, the different file name extensions make this example very unlikely to happen. It would be even better, I think, if Lily noticed the circular dependency and aborted with an informative message instead of just running on forever. However, that may not be very relevant/necessary to have. So, a feature request, but not invalid, I’d say.

Best, Simon