Re: Different staff sizes and resetting fonts

From: Peter Crighton
Subject: Re: Different staff sizes and resetting fonts
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2017 21:55:52 +0200

On Thu 22 Jun 2017 at 17:10:56 (-0700), tisimst wrote:

> My experience tells me that although the staff-size is larger in the second
> \bookpart, the horizontal treatment isn't going to be a normal 17pt. It
> will still be more like the 15pt global one. The only way I've found to get
> true horizontal spacing correction is with completely different \book
> blocks, which you can use a separate #(set-global-staff-size... before each
> one, like this:
>
> #(set-global-staff-size 15)
> \book {

    \bookOutputSuffix "01"

>   \paper {
>     #(set-global-fonts ...)
>   }
>   { ... bookpart here ... }
> }
>
> #(set-global-staff-size 17)
> \book {

    \bookOutputSuffix "02"

>   \paper {
>     #(set-global-fonts ...)
>   }
>   { ... another bookpart here ... }
> }
>
> Unfortunately, this results in separate output PDFs, which I don't think
> you want.

If you can handle the titling (which might differ between
\book and \bookpart) and page numbering, it is trivial to
concatenate the output PDFs with pdftk. Make it more
convenient by suffixing the LP output filenames as shown above
so that you can wildcard/glob them in the command line:

pdftk lilyoutputname*.pdf cat output concatenated-file.pdf

Thank you both, Abraham and David.
It seems like the least effort now is to produce several PDF files and concatenate them, which means I also have to manually create a table of contents. Had I known beforehand that working with different staff sizes would be such a problem, I simply could have chosen other font sizes, since those parts don’t actually feature music, only text and chord symbols. Well, I am wiser for the next project now …

--
Peter Crighton | Musician & Music Engraver based in Mainz, Germany
http://www.petercrighton.de