RE: : Re: transpose range

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: RE: : Re: transpose range
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2017 17:08:59 -0500

Hi,

On Jun 26, 2017 4:57 PM, "Peter Gentry" <address@hidden> wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: David Kastrup [mailto:address@hidden]
Sent: 26 June 2017 15:31
To: Peter Gentry <address@hidden>
Cc: Lilypond <address@hidden>

"Peter Gentry" <address@hidden> writes:

> From: David Kastrup [mailto:address@hidden]
>
> "Peter Gentry" <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> The numeric pitch (op) is calculated by (define op (+ (* 14 o) (* n
>> 2) (/ a 2))) “op is a unique number representing the pitch of the
>> note”
>
>> Uh, that's pretty bad since it sees eis as equal to fes.  Anything
>> wrong with just using (ly:pitch-tones p) instead?
>
> a. I had not heard of ly:pitch-tones p) b. for most folks eis is the
> same sound as fes. Neither my battered old ears or my tuner could
> detect the difference.  😊

Well, I am glad that you don't sing in my hearing range then and you should throw away that tuner.

A semitone difference is quite noticeable.

address@hidden:/usr/local/tmp/lilypond$ lilypond scheme-sandbox GNU LilyPond 2.19.59 Processing `/usr/local/share/lilypond/2.19.59/ly/scheme-sandbox.ly'
Parsing...
guile> (apply - (map ly:pitch-tones (list #{ eis #} #{ fes #})))
1/2
guile>

--
David Kastrup

A semi tone difference is indeed noticeable but surely there is no semitone between e sharp and f flat?
It’s the same key on the piano! Where is the semitone?

E sharp/F or F flat/E are the same key on the piano.  E sharp and F flat are a semitone apart.

-DN