Re: [ANN] LilyQuick 0.94beta - Quick note Lilypond entry using MIDI for

From: Vaughan McAlley
Subject: Re: [ANN] LilyQuick 0.94beta - Quick note Lilypond entry using MIDI for Linux
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2017 23:15:08 +1000

On 27 June 2017 at 17:26, Martin Tarenskeen <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Jun 2017, Vaughan McAlley wrote:
>
>> You can get LilyQuick here: https://github.com/palestrina/lily-q
>

> Hi, I am trying to set LilyQuick up in Fedora 25. Following the instructions in the README and INSTALL files I am now trying to find out what I have to enter in LQconfig.lua to let lq find my computer keyboard. But in /dev/input/by-id I can only see my mouse
>
> usb-Logitech_USB_Optical_Mouse-event-mouse
> usb-Logitech_USB_Optical_Mouse-mouse
>
> not the keyboard that I am typing on to write this question.
> How do I find the correct name for my keyboard on Fedora 25?
>
> MT

Hi Martin,

I've been playing around on my Fedora partition and I can't seem to replicate the problem. These listings by id are symlinks to "files" in /dev/input:

address@hidden input]$ cd by-id
address@hidden by-id]$ ls -l
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 9 Jun 27 22:45 usb-CHICONY_USB_NetVista_Full_Width_Keyboard-event-kbd -> ../event3
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 9 Jun 27 22:45 usb-Logitech_USB-PS_2_Optical_Mouse-event-mouse -> ../event4
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 9 Jun 27 22:45 usb-Logitech_USB-PS_2_Optical_Mouse-mouse -> ../mouse0

In this case, usb-CHICONY_USB_NetVista_Full_Width_Keyboard-event-kbd is just a symlink to event3 in /dev/input

For the moment you could try typing

> cat /proc/bus/input/devices

Which will list all your devices.

The keyboard should be among them, with a line like this:

H: Handlers=sysrq kbd leds event3

Get the last word and put it into LQconfig.lua like this:
deviceName = "/dev/input/event3"

If your input devices change, this id might change. I might be able to automate this procedure. Good luck.

Vaughan