dynamic text spanner after breaking

From: Shevek
Subject: dynamic text spanner after breaking
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2017 17:46:49 -0700 (MST)

For some reason, TextSpanners by default repeat the text at the beginning of
a line after breaking, while DynamicTextSpanners do not. I became very
confused by this inconsistency when I wanted to make my crescendi and
diminuendi show text after line breaks, because for the life of me I
couldn't figure out where in the Lilypond source code that behavior
originates. I also couldn't understand why this wouldn't work:

test = {
  c'1\cresc
  \break
  c' <>\!
}

\new Staff \with {
  \override DynamicTextSpanner.bound-details.left-broken.text = #(lambda
(grob) (ly:grob-property grob 'text))
} \test

In the end, I succeeded in getting cresc. and dim. to be reprinted after
line breaks by writing the following:

crescCautionaryEngraver = #(make-engraver
  (acknowledgers
   ((dynamic-text-spanner-interface engraver grob source-engraver)
    (ly:grob-set-nested-property! grob '(bound-details left-broken text)
(ly:grob-property grob 'text))
    )
   )
  )

Boy, that feels like overkill for what should have been a simple override or
context property.

Why was this so hard to do? Am I missing something obvious?